Friday, August 21, 2026
- Advertisement -

2nd phase of housing plans coming September

The next tentative steps of Affordable Housing construction were discussed at a Town Hall meeting on Thursday evening

Photo by Gary Foster Skelton

The next tentative steps of Affordable Housing construction were discussed at a Town Hall last night.

Zane DeSilva, Minister of Housing and Municipalities, told attendees about the five potential sites for Phase 2 of their long-term plan to deliver 950 to 1,350 affordable units by 2035.

The Minister stressed that the five sites were potential locations, and that it was not finalised.

Those sites are Maria Hill in Sandy’s, Tudor Hill in Southampton, Ocean View in Warwick, Ewing Street in the City of Hamilton, and Harbourview in St. David’s.

More than 200 units could be developed across those areas, attendees were told.

The Royal Gazette reports that Government has upped its short-term goals, hoping to deliver 400 units in the next 18 months.

Back in June, Minister DeSilva said more than half of the financing for the current Phase 1 projects had been secured through Bermuda Commercial Bank.

That first lump of capital is ring fenced for the construction beginning late summer of 84 units on Tommy Fox Road in St David’s, and Albert Row and Victoria Place in Sandy’s.

Minister DeSilva and other Cabinet members also got a first look at the modular homes that have been proposed for Boaz Island.

The Royal Gazette reports that Shadow Housing Minister Michael Fahy has accused Minister DeSilva of “hiding behind quangos” to award no-bid contracts for some of the affordable housing developments.

Mr Fahy had previously questioned what had happened to the RFP on such contracts.

Government told the daily that contracts to two overseas firms, awarded through the quangos Bermuda Housing Corporation and Bermuda Land Management Corporation, did not need oversight or waivers from the Office of Project Management and Procurement.

Minister DeSilva had previously indicated to the House of Assembly that an RFP in this matter could delay delivering affordable houses.

Groundbreaking at some of the first phase affordable housing projects is expected in the coming weeks.


Government Press Release on Town Hall

The Ministry of Housing and Municipalities thanks members of the public for attending the town hall meeting held on August 20 at St. Paul AME Centennial Hall to discuss the proposed Phase 2 affordable housing projects. The meeting provided an opportunity for residents and stakeholders to hear about the proposed developments and share their questions and feedback.

Minister of Housing and Municipalities, the Hon. Zane DeSilva, JP, MP, said, “I thank everyone who attended and contributed to the discussion. The feedback received is important as we continue to refine these projects and work towards delivering quality, affordable housing that meets the needs of our community.”

The Ministry will now continue with site investigations, technical assessments and design development to inform the next phase of the work. These efforts will help to further assess and refine the proposed developments across the identified sites.

The definitive plans for this second phase of affordable housing development will be announced no later than the end of September. The Ministry thanks the public for its continued interest and engagement as this important work progresses.

Author

- Advertisement -

Latest News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -