Around 50 concerned parents from the school’s PTA held a protest mid-February in Paget petitioning to keep the school open
More details revealed today on discussions between the Education Minister Senator Crystal Caesar and parents of Gilbert Institute students.
It includes the creation of two dedicated support teams at Gilbert Institute—the Department of Education’s School Closure Committee and the School-Based Transition Team to offer additional support for families.
You’ll recall, around 50 concerned parents from the school’s PTA held a protest mid-February in Paget, to make a last plea for policy makers to keep the school open.
However, in a meeting on Tuesday, Education Minister Senator Crystal Caesar told parents that all decisions around school closures are final.
However, The Department is going to provide the option for parents of Prospect and Gilbert students to register their children at any Parish Primary School island-wide – as long as space is available.
Minister Caesar said, quote: “I understand and value your concerns about your children’s educational futures. My team and I are here to listen to those concerns and are dedicated to offering clarity and support throughout this process.”
“The Ministry’s open-door policy will continue to welcome your feedback.” end quote.
The Department also pledged to increase available spaces in select year levels.
A PTA member who was in attendance at the meeting said parents were happy that some class sizes increased from 15 to 18 students per class.
Although, they tolds us a majority of parents had already begun applying for spaces at other schools prior to Tuesday’s meeting.
Parents were also informed there will be no cost savings for the Department of Education because 90% of expenses are on staff salaries who have been promised jobs elsewhere in the public school system.
The remaining facilities charges, they said, will have to be maintained whilst a decision is made on re-purposing the building.

