Monday, August 17, 2026
- Advertisement -

Politicians spar over planned seniors’ home

OBA calls on Minister to urgently move forward; Minister cites ‘rigidity’ of planning policy

Channel House at Southside, St. David’s, built by the U.S. Navy in 1942, has been earmarked for conversion into a Seniors’ Residential Living Facility.       Photo: Bermuda Broadcasting

A hold-up on the development of a new seniors’ home has prompted a back-and-forth between the two main political parties.
Here’s a statement issued by the OBA today:

“Shadow Minister for Youth, Social Development and Seniors, Linda Smith, is calling on the Minister of the Cabinet and Digital Innovation, The Hon. Diallo Rabain, to facilitate approval for a new 45-bedroom seniors’ residential facility. 
This coming after the Development Applications Board rejected an application for the redevelopment of Channel House on Longfield Road, in Southside.
Ms Smith says, “The urgent need for senior care facilities is at a crisis point, which is a major contributor to the lack of available beds at KEMH as patients medically fit to leave have nowhere to go. We also know that there are often long wait lists for spaces at the island’s care homes. We desperately need appropriate facilities for our seniors.”
In a split vote, the DAB rejected an application to convert a large office building into a residential facility for seniors. While recognising the urgent need for residential care facilities the DAB said the application went against a policy of the Bermuda Plan 2018 relating to mixed use zones.
The building, which has been vacant for an extended time, previously housed government offices. The DAB’s rejection of the application noted that its previous use was commercial, and policy requires that the reuse include some level of commercial activity on the ground floor.
A similar DAB rejection for repurposing the former BLDC Head Office, Triton House, for residential use was overturned by the former Minister of the Cabinet in February, who at the time referred to the urgent need for affordable housing. Ms. Smith said the same urgent consideration should be given to seniors.”

Channel House at Southside.         Photo: Bermuda Government

Government issued the following statement:
‘The Minister for Cabinet Office and Digital Innovation, the Hon. Diallo Rabain, JP, MP, explained, “The public and this Government fully understand the urgent need for quality senior care facilities in Bermuda.”
“To that end, the application for this project was submitted on March 5, 2025. Immediately upon receipt, and due to the project’s importance, the Department of Planning expedited the application to obtain a DAB decision, which was made on April 2, 2025. Once the applicant submits an application for appeal, I will prioritise my review of the submission to make a swift determination in accordance with the Appeal Procedure Rules. I have every intention of seeing this project move forward without unnecessary delay.
“That said, this case also highlights a broader issue with the rigidity of existing planning policy in the 2018 Bermuda Plan. When applications with clear benefits, no detrimental planning impacts and social value — like housing for our seniors — are supported by the Department of Planning but blocked by technical policy constraints, it becomes clear that change is needed.
“Pending the wider review of the 2018 Plan, legislative amendments will be advanced to ensure that developments in the public interest don’t become hostage to procedural red tape in the future. These changes will allow the planning system to respond more effectively and pragmatically without sacrificing accountability or standards.
“While others are quick to comment, we are focused on delivering tangible outcomes — both for this project and for the future of planning in Bermuda.”’

Author

- Advertisement -

Latest News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -