Monday, August 17, 2026
- Advertisement -

Portugal’s PM Montenegro to keep mostly same key ministers in new cabinet after re-election

Montenegro had called the election for May 18 after losing a confidence vote

Luis Montenegro, Social Democratic Party (PSD) and Democratic Alliance (AD) leader, leaves Belem Palace after meeting with Portugal President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, following the final results of the general elections in Lisbon, Portugal, May 29, 2025. REUTERS/Pedro Nunes/File Photo

International news via Reuters:

Portugal’s president on Wednesday accepted acting Prime Minister Luis Montenegro’s proposal to keep most of the same key ministers in his new cabinet after his centre-right alliance won a snap election last month to continue in government.

Montenegro had called the election for May 18 after losing a confidence vote. While his Democratic Alliance (AD) coalition won, it once again fell short of a working majority in a fragmented parliament in which the far-right party Chega emerged as the main opposition force.

Montenegro, who first came to power in March 2024, proposed reappointing Joaquim Miranda Sarmento as finance minister, President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa’s office said in a statement. Environment and Energy Minister Maria da Graca Carvalho and Foreign Affairs Minister Paulo Rangel will also keep their posts, according to the statement.

Montenegro created a new ministry, combining the economy and territorial cohesion portfolios, to be led by Manuel Castro Almeida. Acting Economy Minister Pedro Reis won’t continue in his role.

The new government will take office on Thursday, Rebelo de Sousa’s office said.

Reporting by Sergio Goncalves; editing by Charlie Devereux

Author

- Advertisement -

Latest News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -