Monday, August 17, 2026
- Advertisement -

Two injured during incident at Fairmont Southampton

Police confirmed at least one of the individual’s injuries are considered ‘serious’

Fairmont Southampton Hotel construction site. Photo: Jasmine Patterson

Two people were injured this morning during an incident at the Fairmont Southampton hotel, according to the Bermuda Police Service.

Police received the report of the industrial incident at 10.45am on Sunday, April 13th, 2025.

All operations at the nearby Turtle Hill Golf Club and Boundary Sports Bar were halted due to a power outage.

Speaking to us from the site, a police spokesperson said, “Upon arrival it was learned that two individuals were injured. Both were transported to hospital for further treatment.

“Once the incident had occurred, BELCO was alerted and they have, in fact, turned off the power to the facility at this time. An investigation is underway.

“We have had the police forensic support unit attend the scene to conduct preliminary investigations however, there is no indications that anything involving foul play may have occurred.”

Staff members and construction personnel were gathered on the grounds of the hotel this afternoon.

Police confirmed at least one of the individual’s injuries are considered to be ‘serious’.

Sources close to the incident told Bermuda Broadcasting that lightening strikes experienced across the island may have contributed to a blown transformer however, that has yet to be confirmed by the hotel.

There were severe lightening strikes witnessed on the island during a thunderstorm on Saturday.

The Bermuda Weather Service’s forecast discussion said, “Thunderstorm activity gradually diminished through the night but wet weather persisted into the morning.

“There has been ~2-2.75 inches of rainfall in the last 24 hours at the station as well as via radar estimates for different parishes.”

The shuttered 600 plus room hotel, the largest resort on the island, has been closed since the onset of the March 2020 pandemic.

It is currently under redevelopment slated for a Spring 2026 re-opening.

BELCO Managing Director Shelly Leman said: “On arrival, BELCO crews were informed that there had been an accident involving a contractor working on the hotel’s internal electrical network and that injuries had been sustained to workers at the site.

“BELCO crews isolated the hotel’s network from the substation and have provided technical resources to support the hotel and police with their investigations.”

She added, “At this time I would like to offer my thoughts to those who have been injured.”

A spokesperson for the Fairmont Southampton states, “We are very sorry to report that there was an electrical incident earlier today [Sunday] at the Fairmont Southampton that resulted in two employees being injured.

“Unfortunately, one of the injured is now in intensive care; our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

“All power has been switched off at the property and BELCO is at the scene. An investigation is underway to determine the cause of the incident.”

Author

- Advertisement -

Latest News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -