Fairmont Southampton renovation is ‘progressing well’ – SDO has been finalised

Following a question in the House of Assembly on Friday, the owners of the Fairmont Southampton have reaffirmed that they have the required financing in place for the hotel’s renovation.
A spokesperson for Westend Properties Limited, the local affiliate of Gencom, said they look forward to welcoming guests in 2026.
Dwayne Robinson, Shadow Minister for Tourism, asked David Burt, Premier and Finance Minister, if Gencom has gathered all the required funding for the Fairmont Southmapton reopening.
The Premier brushed off the question and said the answer is in the public domain.
On September 20th last year, Alessandro Colantonio, Chief Investment Officer at Gencom, stated that the financing of the hotel renovation had closed.
While the hotel owners had stated that the project was fully funded in 2023, Mr Colantonio cited that it had been a complex process to “finalise all the necessary documentation”.
“We have completed the required documentation to close the financing,” he said, “and the balance of funds have been remitted for this redevelopment”.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held last November, heralding the beginning of construction and renovation.
Mr Robinson asked if the hotel is on track for a Spring 2026 reopening.
Owen Darrell, Minister of Tourism, did not mention a date but said that “Construction continues apace and, at this stage, the expectation remains for an opening of the 2026 season.”
Bermuda Broadcasting asked Westend Properties for an update, and a spokesperson responded that “Westend Properties has in place the required financing for the Fairmont Southampton Hotel renovation.”
“The renovation of the Fairmont Southampton is progressing well, and we look forward to welcoming guests back to the revitalized, iconic resort upon its planned reopening in 2026.”
“Further updates on the hotel and related timelines will be provided in due course.”
Additionally, the Special Development Order to permit construction of up to 250 tourism and residential units has been finalised.
Diallo Rabain, Minister for the Cabinet Office and Digital Innovation, told the House of Assembly that the SDO awaits Cabinet approval, and will be published and tabled in the House at the next sitting.

