Monday, August 17, 2026
- Advertisement -

Demand for help reflects financial struggles

The Ministry of Youth, Social Development and Seniors said a committee approved 116 out of 141 applications from families or individuals for funds to help in emergency situations. $134k was paid out

141 applications were received by a committee tasked with providing targeted emergency financing to those facing hardship, since the programme started in March 2025.

This was relayed in the House of Assembly this morning by Tinee Furbert, Minister for Youth, Social Development and Seniors.

116 referrals were accepted – translating to an approval rate of 82.2% of those who applied.


11 cases involved medical emergencies and 7 famillies had emergenies involving their young children.

In total, 25 cases were refused, the Minister said.

She explained that were applications were rejected, the Committee found that the request fell outside the scope of emergency hardship, alternative support was more appropriate or the expense exceeded what the hardship fund could ‘sustainably provide’.

Housing needs accounted for just over 50% of financial distributions or $75,000 to those in need met by the government. As of February, more than $134,000 had been spent from the fund and $13,000 remains.

Minister Furbert said, “The assistance approved by the Committee has been practical, targeted, and time-limited, and has included requests such as emergency grocery and basic needs support, rental deposits and first-month rent to prevent homelessness, short-term rental support where income loss was temporary, funeral assistance in cases of bereavement where no other support was available, utility payments to prevent disconnection and transportation and vehicle-related assistance where directly linked to employment retention.”

The pilot programme is expected to help the ministry inform ongoing policy development and broader housing demands in the community.

Author

- Advertisement -

Latest News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -