OBA candidate says his community efforts are an act of remorse
Today, OBA candidate Kellan Lewis told Gary Foster Skelton why he is standing for election, how he changed in prison, and he sought to express his deep regret for his role in the death of Kellon Hill.
The family of Mr Hill, who was stabbed to death in 2008, have condemned the OBA for what they say is a “shocking and deeply insensitive decision” to roll out one of the people involved in the crime as an election candidate.
Five teens were charged with the murder, but only Kellan Lewis, who was 16 at the time of the killing, was found guilty of manslaughter in 2010.
In prison, Mr Lewis appeared to turn his life around.
He wrote a book about the mindset that can lead youth to descend into crime, and following his release he formed a music company to support young Bermudian rappers.
Mr Lewis was announced on Tuesday as the One Bermuda Alliance candidate for Constituency 32: Southampton West.
Responding to the news, the family of Kellon Hill released a statement in which they say Mr Lewis, who served 4-and-a-half years of a 12-year sentence for manslaughter, has “made no effort to engage with our family or to address the pain and suffering caused by their involvement in Kellon’s death.”
In response to the family’s statement, Kellan Lewis said he has previously spoken to members of the Hill family privately, and he is open to further communication.
He also said that his efforts to contribute to his community are a part of him taking accountability and showing remorse.

