2025 is now the second highest year on record for firearms deaths; BPS’ Jason Smith says criminals may be more bold, but also suggests public is more engaged with police
At a Town Hall meeting in September, addressing gun and gang violence, Police Commissioner Darrin Simons said “the people who are doing these things are getting better…”
It’s a grim thought that the statistics appear to support.
There have been six shooting murders in 2025 – the second highest year on record for firearms deaths…
Jasmine Smith and Shaquan Williams at Legends Nightclub in Sandys in May; Nakai Robinson and Natrae Eversley in broad daylight on Court Street in August; Janae Minors inside her Dundonald & Court Street shop in September; and last Thursday, Jahmel Mallory on Spruce Lane in Pembroke.
There were 7 firearms deaths recorded in 2010, out of a total of 35 firearms injuries and fatalities.
In 2025, there have been 14 firearms incidents – almost half of them resulting in a fatality. Commissioner Simons previously said, “when they are actually shooting, they are more likely hitting their target, causing injury, or causing death.”
Speaking on the most recent murder of Jahmel Mallory, Detective Chief Inspector Jason Smith believes criminals are emboldened by the belief that anyone who sees or knows something, won’t actually say something.
“I wouldn’t say that the people are getting necessarily better”, said DCI Smith, “but they’re maybe becoming more bolder.”
“One of the reasons they may be becoming more bold is because they do not fear that people are going to actually report on them.”
“This is one of the reasons we continue to encourage the community to come forward and to assist us, because where we have people before the courts, it’s because of public support.”
There have been a number of firearms incidents since the shooting murders around Court Street in the summer:
October 25 – Firearm discharged at a residence in the Hillview Lane area in Warwick, no reported injuries
November 27 – Two men injured in firearms incident at a residence on Club Road, Devil’s Hole
December 2nd – Firearm discharged into a residence on Angle Street in Pembroke, no reported injuries
Bermuda Broadcasting asked if there were two groups involved in these incidents, and if they are related.
DCI Smith said, “when we approach these investigations, we have to keep an open mind. So, we do know from our lines of inquiry, from our intelligence reports, that there are certain groups within the community that are feuding.”
“These 14 firearm incidents that we’ve had so far this year, it is alarming, but it is also encouraging that we also get the public support to assist us in identifying the groups, those who are involved, and then secondly, recovering firearms.”
“So we’re getting firearms off the streets… and then we’re looking to bring to justice those who are responsible for committing these offenses.”
Asked if the community is more cooperative now than they have been in the past, DCI Smith said “yes, we are getting more encouragement from the community.”
“I think that’s because of the positiveness that we’re seeing… amongst the organization. Just in terms of stepping up patrols, engaging the community more… being more visible. That’s what we believe is a key part.”
“And I also believe that there are members of our community that want to see change, that want to put an end and a stop to these ruthless, senseless killings that are taking away young men from their families, from our societies and causing disruption in our communities.”
WATCH the report above…

